Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Healthy Oven Roasted Turkey…

SOMETHING NEW!!!!!…yeah trying my hand at photographing food

This is really the only thing I can cook consistently well. Oven roasted turkey stuffed with veggies=) I took pictures this time just for the fun of it…I think I could really get into cooking if I would take pictures every time!

We make this when we want turkey meat for lunches, casual dinner etc. ready in the freezer. Having a big family it’s a great way to have it handy for whatever=) We do use the traditional stuffing when cooking a turkey for the holidays.

Here’s the recipe

(add more or less depending on your own personal opinion =)

One turkey, approx. 15 lb.

Juice of one lemon

Salt and pepper

Olive Oil or melted butter

One medium yellow onion, peeled and quartered

Tops and bottoms of a bunch of celery

Two carrots, washed and sliced

Four potatoes, washed and quartered

Parsley

Sprigs of fresh rosemary, thyme.

IMG_3907-002I hand juiced this lemon to put over the veggies so that the vegetables will hold their taste…and color

IMG_3910-002All the ingredients washed and cut up in a bowl

IMG_3921-002Here he is! All thawed out, washed and ready to be stuffed.

IMG_3923-002You just can’t cook a turkey without these seasonings…and yes I’ve accidently tried=P

IMG_3925-002

IMG_3936-002Parsley…I picked it fresh moments before out of my sisters herb garden

IMG_3945-002With the olive oil, seasonings and lemon juice added…

IMG_3946-002

IMG_3982-002

All stuffed in the roasting pan. I add some olive oil to the top of him and sprinkle with salt and black pepper.

(I add extra veggie because without a shadow of doubt this is my favorite way to eat veggies…they are so good, with that turkey flavor.)

I added a quart of water under him (to keep him moist) and covered him with foil. And that’s it!

I put him in the pre-heated oven to cook over night at a low heat (250 degrees) The house smelled wonderful the next morning. It should be done by the next morning.

The next evening, for dinner we will normally have turkey meat with these roasted veggies on the side. We’ll make gravy from the dripping  (the water I add help so we have a lot, my mom refrigerates the extra for gravy another day)

  Add some biscuits and to this and here you have it~an easy meal.

The rest of the turkey meat will be frozen and bagged for easy accessibility another day.

I would have taken some “after pictures” but mom had already cut into him for lunches.

B65CA3B1C6A0968D2D817F7063176B02


No comments:

Post a Comment